As every gardener understands, you have a love/hate relationship with tomatoes. They don't trickle in so you can use them up. You simply go from not having any tomatoes to having more than you can ever use. You eat sandwiches, can them, freeze them, make salsa, make spaghetti sauce, give them away, and still find yourself at a loss of what to do with them now.
Our suggestion is this beautiful tomato pie. There is nothing better than this simple little recipe. It is just so yummy.
Easy Summer Tomato Pie
Pillsbury Pie Crust
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Basil (Fresh or Dried)
3 or 4 Tomatoes- (depending on size)
- Roll out Pie Crust & Preheat oven to 350°
- Slice tomatoes thin and lay out on paper towels to absorb extra juice.
- Dry out crust in oven at 350° for about 5 minutes.
- Mix 1 Cup Mayonnaise with 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar.
- Sprinkle bottom of pie crust with a little flour.
- Spread thin layer of Mayo/Cheese mixture on bottom.
- Layer tomato slices, sprinkle with flour and dried basil, then repeat step with another layer of tomato, flour, and basil.
- Top with the remainder of the Mayo/Cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350° till golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
- Allow to set at least 5 minutes before trying to slice.